November 20, 2008

Speedy Down!


I was tucking the kids into bed... reviewing their spelling words before their tests tomorrow... dragging my sore feet through it all... (it's been a long day) and then innocently Jessica says,

"Mom, I have two fish...so I am going to let the boys have one."
I said, "Oh Jess, that would be so nice."
"Can I go get it?" she says.
"Yes, if you carry it in very carefully"
"Okay!"
She quickly disappears and very slowly and carefully brings in the bowl. She was very pleased with herself getting it to the boys room with no problems. Then she says...

"Actually, I changed my mind. I think I am going to give the boys Speedy and not Bubbles."
Now growing impatient I quickly say, "Jess, it's time for bed. Get in bed, I will go get it."
I quickly brought the first bowl back to her room and grabbed the other glass vase with one hand. I made it to the boys room before the bowl quickly slipped in my hand and crashed to the floor! Jessie screams as Speedy is somewhere on the floor amongst the rocks. (you won't find him in the picture as I wasn't that cruel to make him lay their while I grabbed the camera)

I hate those times when you are so tired you can't even think and then something happens where you have to dig deep and find the strength to go a little bit more. In this case, I was almost to the part of my day where I could sit down and instead had to pull out the carpet cleaner. Ahh! Oh motherhood...sometimes you need to learn from your 7 year old and practice what you preach.
So as I am picking glass out of the carpet Jess says,
"Mom, Speedy is eating Bubbles!"
So I tell her to quickly grab a bowl and a ladle! (Anyone who has had Beta fish, they eat each other, that is why we have two bowls) So we get him safely to a new bowl, get the rocks cleaned up, the carpet cleaned and gated off, the boys back in bed, and Jess back and bed. As I am tucking her in...again...she says,
"Mom, Speedy needs his rocks."
I say, "No he doesn't"
"Yes, he does."
"Jess, rocks are like furniture, he doesn't need them tonight"
"But mom what if he wants to sit."
"Jess... fish don't sit, and he is just visiting this bowl anyway, just like a hotel."
She seemed satisfied with this answer and was quiet until I reached the door. When she says one last thing...
"Mom?"
"Yes Jessie."
"Speedy must like his new bowl he has already pooped two times."
"Goodnight sweetheart."
"Goodnight mom."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica I am so proud of you on how well you look after your fish. You have Speedy for a long time. I was never able to keep a fish alive as long as you have. Have a great day. Love Auntie Shauna

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessie. You are so FUNNY>>> I laughed (cried) through your whole ordeal of speedy and bubbles. Im so glad they are all o.k. You will make a GREAT vettenariN. (i CAN SEE WHY EVERYONE SAYS vET FOR SHORT ) lOVE Grandma M XXXXXOOOOO