June 18, 2009

First Swim

We went swimming for the first time this summer. All the outdoor pools don't open until Saturday so we headed to the YMCA...whoa talk about crowded! They rope off the shallow end that probably numbered close to 35 kids...Then if you want to swim in the deep end or places you can't touch or go off the diving board you have to pass the swim test.

Hunter told me he was going to practice this time and that next week he will try it. About 15 minutes into swimming he jumps out and tell me he wants to give it a try. So we walk over to the lifeguard to ask her to give him a swim test...I turn around and Hunter is heading quickly back to the shallow end. I gave the lifeguard a shrug... Another 15 minutes more pass and he says this time he is really going to do it. So we wave down the lifeguard again this time I held his hand as we walked to the deep end. I know he was nervous however was very determined. They cleared the way and away he went, he swam like a little fish. I walked along side of him trying to catch his eye each time his head turned up for air. He would look at me as he pushed himself through his strokes. He had such determination in his eyes and at that moment I was so incredibly proud of him, I felt the mommy tears welling. He made it to the other side where they promptly awarded him his well deserved green bracelet.

I would like to say I knew all the time that he could do it...but no.... when I went to flag down the lifeguard for the second time I whisper that he would like to try it but I wasn't so sure he would be able to pass...since EVERY year since he was 5 he has tried to pass this test. I learned today how strong Hunter is. Numerous times he has shown his persistence to his goals until he accomplishes them. He is always teaching me.

4 comments:

Grandpa said...

Great stuff - they all look like water babies - and I know how much they love to be in the pool. I am very proud of Hunter's determination. Congratulations. I like your idea Jenn of getting him private lessons so he learns to swim with the kind of skill that you mastered.

Cozy Blue Photography said...

That's awesome! Is that the East Wenatchee aquatic center?? Or the one in Wenatchee?? We really like the Y. My girls passed the test and have learned to dive and love the water. Chase on the other hand has always had a little fear of the water...he's coming around. I love swimming...that's one form of exercise I don't consider exercise cause it's just FUN! :O) I miss seeing your smiling face!! Our ward is so small!! :O(

Jenn said...

I miss you too!!!! I wish were in the same ward again. We are going to a pool every Thursday,(we are going to rotate) we should go together, sometimes I swim, sometimes I watch. Sound good? I will call ya.

Cozy Blue Photography said...

Sounds awesome! I know, we would love to be in your ward. Seems like we knew more people...I go swimming every chance I get. I love it! I grew up with a pool in our backyard and I miss it so much! My parents had to go and MOVE, BOO!! Yeah, give me a call sometime!! We need to BBQ!!