March 31, 2009

Taking One for the Team



(The picture of the animal is Hunter's animal he hunted for food...he really got into this)

We planned to let the kids build a grand fort during spring break. I mistakenly said we could all sleep in completely not remembering that ...

1) I am not under 12 anymore and much larger
2) I am claustrophobic (this is no tent, it is a coffin)
3) I have a very "sensitive to the elements" back problem

Not to ruin any building fun I didn't bring up my issues. All day they tinkered and built this mansion. Hunter was the foreman and kept adding on rooms so each of us could have our own wing. At one point he pulled the tape measure out of the garage, jumped on the counter and measured how tall I was...

He said, "Mom! You are 69 inches wide! How am I going to fit that!"
I said..."Not wide honey...please, not wide."

Anyway, night rolled around and it was time to climb in...or time to bring up my issues and that I wasn't joining the sleep part. I will lay, hang, and just be apart of the fort fun. But sleep...my back has a limit. My issues didn't go well on an already tired crowd. Hunter was devastated. I was devastated that he was devastated...are you following? Anyway, I felt like a loser mom. Which must happen every once in awhile to keep mom's in check, it goes with the title. Anyway, Matt saved the day, and calmed everyone down and slept in the sheet coffin fort. I love this man. He woke up looking like a mac track ran him over.

For the record and prosperity to know and understand....I HATE HATE HATE when my back keeps me from participating in family fun. Most of the time it doesn't...but once and awhile it does. I know I am supposed to learn something from this...that apparentlyI haven't yet.

4 comments:

The Risdons said...

I love the inches wide. I'm cracking up.

El said...

back or no back, you are still a phenomenal mother! The inch thing...priceless

Ames said...

I didn't know that you have back problems!!! Maybe this is a Matkin thing. Are your back problems related to the pain you had during your first baby?

Like you, I have been experiencing terrible back problems for many years, and now my back has started to numb. I have had a thoracic MRI (which ruled out pinched nerves and a slipped disc), then a brain MRI (which ruled out tumors or MS), and now today I am having a cervical spine MRI (to conclusively determine whether this is all muscular). They have put me on Lyrica, which has helped me cope with the lack of sleep my back pain gives me.
So Jenn, I am right there with you. Many times my kids come up to me and want me to help them do this or that, and I have to sadly remind them that I can't. But I try to do what I can. I lay down to read them stories, I lay down to give them kisses and hugs (instead of picking them up), I lay down on a soft bed and ask them to all join me on the weekends so we can have a sleep over. You are a wonderful mother, which is so very apparent from your great blog. Your kids are lucky to have you as their amazing mom. Love you!!!!

Jenn said...

Oh Amy and El Thank you!

Living with chronic pain makes mothering that much more interesting.

When I was 8 months pregnant with Logan the pain started and never left... They think it is a compressed/damaged nerve from having all the 3 kids in 2 years, mixed with my awesome posture and daily activities as mommy makes it stick around longer. Over the last 6 years since Logan was born it has gotten better in a sence but worse in that it is causing numbness down my leg and spasms in my foot. I also have bladder ulcers that were discovered at this time too. Just to make me that much more freakish. It is great when your child asks you how your bladder is feeling? It is all good. I can take it, but sometimes my kids can't, which I find the hardest.

I have tried EVERYTHING out there. I do my own thing now. The meds either may me too tired to think straight, or to dumb to be in charge of children. I hope they find answers for you. It becomes a very lonely road so give me a call sometime and I would love to chat with you. Love you cuz...too bad we never see each other...that stinks.