March 11, 2009

Mommy Teacher

I have been subbing at the kids school here and there for the last couple of weeks. Sometimes I sub P.E. or Music and only have them for a little bit, and sometimes I sub for their teacher. I find it very interesting how each of the kids react to me being there teacher....

Hunter:
Hunter is pretty casual about me being there. He always has a big smile when he sees me or I am talking with the class. He tries really hard to be the "good example" for his mom and do what I say when I give instructions. He is a big mommy advocate, if I say a funny word or do something different he will lean over and tell his friends other weird things I say or do and then chuckle to himself. He is a rule follower and doesn't try to break them when I am the teacher. He is helpful if I ask, but for the most part he is content doing his thing.

Affection: Less is better, even better instigated by him, usually a quick hug.

Jessica:
Jessica LOVES that her mom is the teacher. She comes bouncing in and yells out "Hi Mom!" Or will raise her hand and start saying, "mooooommmm" I keep telling her to call me Mrs. West which she refuses to do especially when her class loves to call me "Jessica's Mom". As I talk with the class and they are sitting in a circle on the ground she will practically sit on my shoes and start hugging my leg. (I am not kidding) Crocodile tears will erupt if I don't pick her that day to do something. Today, she started the tears up because she had it in her mind that because she didn't feel well that she could sit the rest of the day with me teaching the other classes. Noooooo.... and I scooted her little tear stained self to her next class. She was less than impressed with her mom as teacher after that.

Affection: There is never too much kissing and hugging according to her.

Logan:
Logan likes to keep a very low profile. He is very happy I am there. He will always have a big smile on his face and if I make the kids laugh he will laugh a little harder and longer and look to his left and right as if to say, "ya, that's my mom." But he likes to blend in with the others. He does not like it if I pick him to do something fun, or single him out. In fact he will tell me afterward to not pick him. I asked him why? He said just don't pick me first mom. (I just cannot relate to such introverted behavior) He likes to help me if he can, but usually it is by telling me after school is over the things I did that Mrs Hahne never does. Hmm.

Affection: Hugs only. No kisses and no extra attention.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What LIttle sweethearts. They are so Proud of their mom. and all she can do.... as we are...

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that you can be their teacher! Guess they can't tell you that the dog ate their homework eh?

Anonymous said...

My dad was the principle of the elementary school when I was in grade 6 and I was far more like Logan than our little Jessica sweetheart. I tried to be cool and not show any emotion. Also my dad went out of his way in my opinion to never show me any favouritism.