April 22, 2009

Tooth City



Jess lost another tooth today at school. As we lay in bed tonight reading stories she kept raising her hand. (which is what she does when she has a comment...she usually has many) She wanted to discuss the tooth fairy tonight. This is how the conversation went...

"Mom, I think the toothfairy has to make lots of trips back and forth to drop off all the teeth."

"Oh ya?" I said, now quite curious on her take of the toothfairy.

"Ya, she has to carry ALL the teeth of the kids who lose their teeth ALL over the world! So she has to drop off some teeth, they're heavy...and she is SMALL." she says.

"Ya, she must have a lot of teeth, all those children." I said

"Well no, not ALL the children, you know kids like Logan who haven't lost any teeth." she reasons.

I then ask her, " What do you think the toothfairy does with all the teeth, build a castle or something?"

She looks at me with her classic "Jessie look", (the "keep up mom" look) and says, " No mom, she has WAY too many teeth for one castle! She has a teeth city. And see the blood and pointy part on the tooth?", as he handles her tooth.
"she cuts that part off. She also brushes all the teeth to keep them clean."

"Oh?....Wow." I said, curious where her information was coming from.

We go back to our story and then Jess puts up her hand again....

"Mom, did you know the tooth fairy can't be tricked." she says.

"Really?" I say.

"Ya, she won't fall for a piece of ripped paper or something." she says.

"How do you know?" I ask.

"Cause I tried once, I broke off the end of one of the dental picks in your bathroom and put it in my tooth box and there was no money in the morning." she says.

"Nope, she can't be tricked." I agreed.

We finished our story, I tucked her in and kissed her goodnight and blew her sprinkles (we have blown sprinkles on her so she won't have bad dreams since she was two.) Then as I was turning out the light she has one last comment.

"Mom, I think the tooth fairy keeps the money in a special bag that gets real small when she is flying around." she says.

"Ya, I think so too. Night Jessie."

6 comments:

Auntie Shauna said...

Jessica you are such a sweetheart. Congratulations on your new tooth.

Grandpa said...

Tell Jessie that her Grandpa is proud of her imagination about the work of the tooth fairy. Would she draw a picture for us to see next time we are there of the tooth city from the tiny tooth fairy? There could be some gold teeth from old geezers to give more color to the city.

Grandma M said...

Jessica. You are so much fun...AND such an imagination. Love Grandma M

Jenn said...

Good idea! Ha Ha Ha...gold teeth...would those be yours?

Anonymous said...

You two should read Junie B Jones the Toothless Wonder, very funny about losing her teeth and her ideas about the tooth fairy.

Jenn said...

Jamie funny you say that! That was the book we WERE reading that night. Too funny.