June 20, 2010

Smiling




My near 70 year old Dad
spent his time with his grandchildren this year...


... tubing down the raging river with us while we all feared for our lives....all with a smile on his face the whole time and not an ounce of complaint.

... jumping on the trampoline...because they asked him too.

... ice skating hand in hand with my children...because they wanted him to come.
(well this one ended him in the ER needing a cat-scan, and losing a little of bit of his memory but he was still smiling...didn't know where...but still smiling)

... throwing all the kids in the car and telling them...we will go anywhere you want to go.

... going to the park until THEY wanted to go home...so in other wards...HOURS!...and still come home smiling.

... telling stories to them...every time they asked.


... watching them...every time they said, "watch this!"...and still doing it even after the 102nd time.

(and that was just this year!)

My dad doesn't even know how to complain and always brings a smile with him where ever he goes. He exemplifies so many wonderful traits that I admire. I absolutely cherish when he comes and spends time with me and my family.

It is hard for my heart to even think that each year my dad has to sit it out a little more than the last. But even so, one of my favorite things to do is to find him on his bench where he is "sitting one out" and just "be" with him. To me, he just exudes peace, love, and joy and I love to be in his presence. I love you dad.

5 comments:

Ames said...

Great tribute to your dad.

Grandpa said...

Jenn,

Thank you so much for those very kind and undeserved words. It makes my heart leap (with joy not atrial fibrilation another story) when I get to spend time with you all and our grand children. We just got back from China and we are smiling lots from the trip but love to be home.

Shauna said...

You're awesome Dad and Jenn said it the best. Happy Father's Day!!!

Grandma M said...

I agree. Dads always uo for anything anyone ants to do. Love you sweetheart. MOMxxxooo

Grandma M said...

Your right . Grandpa is always uo for anything you want. Love you sweetheart. XXXXXXXXXOoooooooo