October 07, 2009

Busted

Driving the kids home from school the other day I looked into the rear view mirror at Hunter and noticed his smile took on a more jack o lantern look. I quickly asked him if he lost his tooth!

He said, "Oh you noticed?"

I asked him if he still had the tooth?

He then casually started to tell me how when he was in P.E. the ball hit his face and knocked it loose into the grass.

Caught up in his story with concern I asked him if he found the tooth.

While watching him through the 5 inch mirror, I see him hang his head and say sadly..."No, I couldn't find it."

I quickly started to tell him he could write her a letter and explain what happened and she would be okay with that. As we went on that night I told him he better start that letter. He then told me he was going to do it the next night. I was too tired to care, so I said "sure honey"

TRAP SET.

The next morning Hunter ran down the stairs and yells, "I KNEW IT! SHE ISN'T REAL!"

Trying to evaluate what was going on and what I did wrong, Hunter jumps into his explanation of his evil plan.

He scammed us.

The whole dodge ball story was a lie, he pulled out his tooth neatly in an envelope and explained that he DID stick it under his pillow last night and she didn't come.

I just stared at him in awe of elaborate storytelling skills and considered congratulating him for pulling it off so well, but decided to go with trying to conceal the tooth fairy's real identity.

Once daddy overheard our conversation, he simply said, "But look who doesn't have any money now?"

He didn't seem to care, he had just busted the Toothfairy.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh no! What a smart little guy though. haha

Alex first caught on to the whole tooth fairy thing when the tooth fairy would "forget" to come and I'd try to explain how busy she is, and sometimes it can take a couple of days for her to catch up. He started suspecting then and eventually just asked me. haha They grow up too fast!

El said...

Wow is he ever smart! And the oscar goes to...

Grandpa said...

A prosecution lawyer in the works -busting the tooth fairy is fair game but how are we going to protect our favorite red Santa Claus?

Simply, Sarah said...

Grandpa,

I was just about to ask how safe Santa is also...

Ames said...

Wow! Hunter is SMART!