January 04, 2011

Day One - Part 2 consultation

So after my
big bad test.
We had an consultation that afternoon
with Dr. Arata about the procedure.

In a nutshell.
(I will try to explain this the best I can.)
As I mentioned before, they find in almost ALL cases of people with MS, they have CCSVI
(a narrowing in your jugular or azygo veins)
But unlike other doctors performing this brand new procedure. Where they focus on angioplasty of the vein. They are focusing on the valves.



He compared it to a toilet flapper.
Ever seen on of those? When you flush it goes up and down.
This valve is what opens and closes allowing your blood to flow freely from your brain.
Well Dr. Arata is one of the few doctors who is focusing on the malfunction of this valve not working properly.

How you ask?

Well by destroying it.

Um... Don't I need that valve?
so... I don't know, my head doesn't fill with blood?



He continues to explain that by doing this, the valve is stretched open until it snaps open. And stays open. Like a rubber band. Doctors now, and how he previously preformed the surgery, they only stretched it to normal size through angioplasty.

However they were finding in 50% of the cases it made it's way back to original size because of it's rubber elastic qualities. Therefore by snapping it open it restore flow permanently.
Allowing my poor brain to BREATHE!

I need all the IQ points I can get.

So am I blocked. Will this help me??

He said that I showed a blockage in both jugulars
but would be able to see even better during the venogram.

(inside happy dance)

Since they started to use this method
in July their restenosis rate (the elastic shrinking again) has been only 1%.

So still unsure how my head won't fill up with blood??

As unlike a gall bladder or tonsils,
you kind of need this flap.
But he explained that my need to get my like back
from the grip of Multiple Sclerosis, that trumped needing the flap.

Well put I say.

Okay so I don't need it, but does my body know that?

We discussed how standing on my head is a big no no.

No prob. I can do that.

But actually you put your head upside down a lot more than you think.
-bending down to do
yoga
(well ...when I get that spurt to get back into it)
-bending down to
throwing your head under the tub faucet to wash your hair.
-bending down to
look for your kiddo's lost shoe in the big mess in the closet.
-bending down to
hair blow your hair upside down to get that voluminous look.

So I can't be a yoga master, wash my hair in a flash,
be the house shoe finder and have cool knockout hair.

That is okay. I will manage.

So after our questions were answered.

We were ready.

No comments: