September 02, 2010

Diagnoses Day

Today Matt and I drove up to Virgina Mason in Seattle to see the head of the
MS department of neurology and get some answers.

All morning I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest.
I kept suggesting the idea of ditching the whole idea and going to do something more fun...
I am sure there were a million better things to do.
Matt said he would drag me by my heels if he needed to.

We were greeted by an enormous board of doctor's names that could of been close to a thousand and made me start to feel dizzy and tired just looking at it.
I was close to bolting...if I could just walk.
After getting lost we finally made it to the right place.

We met my Dr's nurse who cheerfully said,
"Are you a new patient?"
I said yes.
He then happily says
"Welcome to Virginia Mason we are happy to have you here!"

I thought how he could of replaced "Virginia Mason" with "Disneyland" and it would of sounded the same. He was very chipper.
I didn't feel his same enthusiasm to be there.

After he left and Matt was flipping through a magazine I quietly sat waiting thinking,
"What if she comes in and tell's me I AM crazy....I have started down this road, and it ends up her saying it IS in my head."
I thought I was going to throw up.

My doctor comes in and sits down and casually says.
"What can I do for you?"
Like I am needing to order curtains and need assistance.

She sees my confusion and says,"Just start from the beginning"

I felt scattered and nervous trying to explain and summarize years of symptoms and agony for the next 20 minutes. And thinking after explaining every symptom, I must of lost her by now and I am sounding very crazy.

She thinks I am crazy. I just know it.

Finally I stop and ask, "Am I totally confusing you?"

She answered, "No you are doing very well actually."

I liked her after that.

She pops in my my brain MRI DVD and mumbles how great and clear the images are. I instantly think...Oh great, here it is... she is going to say, "Looks normal to me.... I don't know what is wrong you."

After more medical mumble and very impressive unspellable big words come from her mouth.

She sits back on her chair and says that she can see 8 or so lesions in my brain scan and that I have Multiple Sclerosis.....

She said it. Just like that. And then sentence didn't end in crazy.

She also didn't say...
nothing here buddy...nope can't see anything....or what are you doing wasting my time lady, get outta here!

Nope, she said it is Multiple Sclerosis.

I then said... "could it be migraines?"
She said...."do you get headaches?"

no.

I then said...."could it be lyme disease?"
She said...."did you get a bite at anytime?"

no.

She went on to explain why she believes it is multiple sclerosis and not anything else and that according the brain scan it is at the beginning and mild.

However my symptoms are bad and severe....

glad she noticed.

She said you can show mild lesions and have severe symptoms and the symptoms don't match the symptoms just help confirm the diagnosis.

Ya whooo. I am not crazy.

I knew it! Sort of.

So
then she ordered a spine MRI because she was worried it was going to show the rest of the lesions, and a spinal tap to be done right away so she can find out what kind I have and how severe it is.

Bring it on.

So there you have it. I have Multiple Sclerosis.

I am not crazy,
I am not just lazy,
and I am not just a really slow walker.

So what to do first?....

1. First thing I need to do is figure out how to spell it right because I have had to have "spell check" fix it each time I write it.

2. Second thing is look into a getting a maid.

3. Third...google search "cool looking wheelchairs"

How do I feel?
At peace.

I have been suffering in silence with SOMETHING for a very long time. And just haven't had a name. How do you tackle a nameless trial?

Now I can take Multiple Sclerosis by the horns...


6 comments:

Bethany said...

I can imagine its such a relief to have a diagnosis. I pray that they can start moving forward with treating your symptoms now.
I know you've got a lot of support around you, but please just call if you ever need anything! *hugs*

El said...

I literally cannot emphasize enough how incredibly proud I am of you. You have shown so much grace and strength (not to mention fantastic humour) through all of this. We are no longer in the dark now- we can get you feeling better and get the treatments coming!! This is the begining of kicking MS's butt! It has no idea what is coming it's way!Love you!!!!!

Melanie said...

I am so sorry Jenn to hear this my mother in law has MS and has for about 30 years or so I am so here for you and if you need me to be your maid or help you with you vinyl or anything you just let me know I can do anything you need me to love ya bunches and I am praying for you daily :)

Melanie

The Risdons said...

I'm not glad you have MS, but I'm glad you have an answer. I know you can tackle this like everything else you...with a smile. You've got a long road ahead but you can do it. I know you can. Love you lots:-)

Ames said...

Your post made me cry, because I know the journey for you has been long and rough and I am so grateful that you finally have the answers you need to move forward, and most importantly not to feel "crazy." I wish I could give you a big hug. I love you so much.

Shauna said...

Jenn I pray for you every day and wish for the best for you. You are a strong woman. I love you very much. I'm happy you finally have a diagnosis. Love, Shauna